Thursday, September 11, 2014

DIY Flavored Olive Oil

I love olive oil but the prices can get out of hand so I opt for the cheaper version and I get any flavor I want. Tonight I chose to make a spicy olive oil with jalapenos. It's super easy.

Start by saving an old oil bottle. I save all of my glass jars. It was just a matter of finding the one I wanted to use. However, if you don't have a million glass jars around you can go here for a new bottle, most importantly make sure you have a plastic dripper to fit your bottle.

Lay out a towel to catch the mess.

Gather your materials: Bottle

Funnel

Herbs (I like freeze dried for flavor)

Add dry ingredients to bottle. Use about 1 teaspoon each, more peppers for a hotter pallet. Remember Oregano is especially strong, be sparing - always err on the side of less.

I chose the cheaper brand of oil. It's up to you, but this is about saving money.

Fill the bottle almost to the top. 
.
The dry herbs will expand slightly and you need some room in the bottle to mix the ingredients.

Put the cap on then ...
Shake. Rattle and Roll! No, seriously, mix the hell out of it. You don't want the herbs clumping together.

Store in a cool dry place for about a week and enjoy! This much should last for some time. Mine usually makes it about two months. Here are some great recipes for your new olive oil. You can make specific oils for each meal. Let the fun begin!

Peace and Love, 
Sarazann





2 comments:

  1. Very cool, will try this this weekend....Thanks :)...also shared

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Dreamer! Let me know how yours turns out. :)
    Peace and Love

    ReplyDelete